Thoroughly revised and updated, the New Edition of this definitive text explains how to care for neonates using the very latest methods. It maintains a clinical focus while providing state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment techniques. Written by more than 55 specialists who are actively involved in the care of sick newborns, it serves as an authoritative reference for practitioners, a valuable preparation tool for exams and a useful resource for the entire neonatal care team.
Focuses on diagnosis and management, describing pertinent developmental physiology and the pathogenesis of neonatal problems.
Includes over 500 crisp illustrations that clarify important concepts and techniques.
Features the contributions of new editor Christine Gleason, a well-known neonatologist specializing in fetal physiology and drug/alcohol effects on the brain.
Discusses hot topics such as ethical decisions in the neonatal-perinatal period maternal medical disorders of fetal significance, seizure disorders, isoimmunization, cancer and mental disorders maternal and fetal anesthesia and analgesia prenatal genetic diagnosis overview of clinical evaluation of metabolic disease neonatal pain in the 21st Century immunology of the fetus and newborn wonders of surfactant long-term neurological outcomes in children with congenital heart disease developmental biology of the hematologic system and illustrative forms and normal values: blood, CSF, urine.
Features extensive cross-referencing, making it quick and easy to navigate through the organ-related sections.
Includes coverage of perinatology providing a well-rounded, comprehensive approach to patient care.
Presents case studies designed to help readers recognize and manage cases in the office setting and asses their understanding of the topic.
- Perinatal-Neonatal Epidemiology
- Evaluation of Therapeutic Recommendations, Database Management, and Information Retrieval
- Ethical Decisions in the Neonatal-Perinatal Period
II. Fetal Development
- Placental Function and Diseases: The Placenta, Fetal Membranes, and Umbilical Cord
- Abnormalities of Fetal Growth
- Hormones and Development
- Multiple Birth
- Nonimmune Hydrops
III. Maternal Health Affecting Neonatal Outcome
- Endocrine Disorders in Pregnancy
- Maternal Medical Disorders of Fetal Significance Seizure Disorders, Isoimmunization, Cancer and Mental Disorders
- Hypertensive Complications of Pregnancy
- Perinatal Substance Abuse
IV. Issues in Labor and Delivery
- Antepartum Fetal Assessment
- Prematurity: Causes and Prevention
- Complicated Deliveries: Overview
- Maternal and Fetal Anesthesia and Analgesia
- Human Genome and Relevance to Prenatal and Neonatal Screening
- Prenatal Genetic Diagnosis
- Evaluation of the Dysmorphic Infant
- Genetic Disorders Presenting in Newborn
VI. Congenital Metabolic Problems
- Overview of Clinical Evaluation of Metabolic Disease (Case Studies)
- Inborn Errors of Carbohydrate, Ammonia, Amino Acid, and Organic Acid Metabolism (Case Studies)
- Lysosomal Storage, Peroxisomal, and Glycolosation Disorders and Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome Presenting in the Neonate (Case Studies)
- Connective Tissue Disorders and Skeletal Dysplasias (Case Studies)
VII. Evaluation and Care of the Normal Newborn
- Initial Evaluation: History and Physical Examination of the Newborn
- Routine Newborn Care
- Newborn Screening
VIII. Care of the High-Risk Infant
- Resuscitation in the Delivery Room
- Temperature Regulation of the Premature Infant
- Acid-Base, Fluid, and Electrolyte Management
- Cardiovascular Compromise in the Newborn Infant
- Care of the Extremely Low Birth Weight Infant
- Pharmacologic Principles and Practicalities
- Neonatal Pain in the 21st Century
IX. Immunology and Infections
- Immunology of the Fetus and Newborn
- Fetal-Newborn HIV Infection
- Viral Infections of the Fetus and Newborn
- Toxoplasmosis, Syphilis, Malaria, and Tuberculosis
- Bacterial Infections of Mother and Newborn
- Nosocomial Infections in the Nursery
- Fungal Infections in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit