ISBN - 9780323083348
Autor(es) - Julia Balzer Riley
Editora - Mosby
Ano de Edição - 2013
N º de Páginas - 368
Combining a spiritual, empathetic approach to patients with practical clinical scenarios and techniques, this user-friendly resource is your key to understanding and applying the basic concepts of therapeutic communication. It provides comprehensive, step-by-step guidelines for establishing patient relationships, accompanied by unique artistic features that go beyond the clinical setting and help you connect more effectively with patients and ensure better clinical outcomes.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes provide a humorous, personal approach to communication theory and application.
- Discussion of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator helps you recognize different styles of communication and enhance your own.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight the outcomes and benefits of successful communication.
- Poetry excerpts in every chapter provide inspiration and insight.
- Focus on therapeutic spirituality presents a holistic approach that helps enrich your patient relationships.
- Guidelines on communicating with populations with special needs prepare you to engage the widest variety of patients.
New to This Edition
- Revised chapter exercises reinforce concepts and help you practice your communication skills.
- New Communicating at the End of Life chapter provides strategies for effective communication and creative expression with patients near the end of life.
- Revised Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture chapter helps you better understand diverse patient backgrounds and foster more productive relationships.
Table of Contents
PART 1: Getting Started: Basic Communication Competence
1. Responsible, Assertive Care Communication in Nursing
2. The Client-Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship
3. Solving Problems Together
4. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture
5. Working Together in Groups
6. Electronic Communication
PART 2: Building Relationships
11. Self Disclosure
13. Asking Questions
14. Expressing Opinions
PART 3: Building Confidence
17. Requesting Support
18. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety
22. Positive Self-Talk
PART 4: Meeting Challenges
24. Refusing Unreasonable Requests
25. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Distressed Clients and Colleagues
26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Aggressive Clients and Colleagues
27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Unpopular Clients